BOND UNI

BOND UNI
My home for the next 4 months!!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Star Gazing on the Beach

While laying on the beach tonight I was trying to capture some moments with my new digital camera that I bought for my Photography class here and realized that it might not of been the best idea to take a class on something I know nothing I about. I think the pictures will speak for themselves. 


Today was a recovery day for me...I woke up feeling terrible still with no voice and a nice headache which always means I had a great night! Today we spent laying around talking about the night before and just hanging out. At around 4pm Allie and I went to the gym, where I was able to make a conclusion that many Australians don't wear deodorant and they don't really see the importance of an indoor gym because of the great climate here. It is safe to say that the ONLY thing I really miss that SLU has and Bond Uni doesn't is a good, clean, fresh gym. 


A group of us then headed downtown BroadBeach to walk around and explore. We got dropped off at Pacific Fair, which is where all the shopping is and just walked straight and hit the beach. It was dark and still beautiful the sand was white and soft and you could look down the beach and see the skyline with the city of Surfers Paradise in the distance. We all sat down and looked up at the stars and just were talking about the plans and wishes for the semester that lies ahead of us. It made me realize that I came here knowing five people and hope to leave here with many new friends from all over the world. 


Although I am said to miss my younger brothers football game back at home; Alec sent me updates on the score and how Joey was playing, which I really appreciate. Because of the time difference and our schedules it is really hard for Alec and I to talk and know what is going on in each others lives; so we figured the best way to fix this is to email each other every night before we go to bed just talking about our day and what we did. I would have to admit this is so helpful, even though I don't talk to him everyday the emails are amazing when I read them and a great way to end my day by telling him about everything that I am experiencing. I have been able to keep in contact with my sister through BBM (blackberry messenger) and Skype and it has been so wonderful to still be part of her life and her decisions at such a crucial age. My parents have been amazing and so understanding when I don't call everyday. I have been emailing my dad and trying to call my mom at least every other day, if she would figure out her phone she will also realize I send her pictures of everything I see. I do miss DJ and Joey a lot but I know how guys are and they aren't too keen with talking to their sister who is in Australia. So I receive updates through my parents and of course all the gossip through Julie. 


Friday was the perfect recovery day for me. It was also a great day to reflect on how lucky I am to be here. I will admit there are times when I miss certain things back at home, but I just can't imagine not coming to Australia. I also have realized that I couldn't of asked for a better group of people to be with. My roommate is amazing, and Ki and Allie who live right next to us of course are our best friends too! Recently I have just been thinking about how close we are getting with people we didn't know a week ago. It's really going to be hard when our new friends go back to their home school, I don't even want to think about that. So for now we are going to live up the time we have here and truly try our hardest to enjoy every minute of every experience we have. 


I never would of thought I would be able to study abroad away from my friends and family for four months but already I can tell it is one of the most incredible things I have done, and I encourage anyone who gets the opportunity to do it; NEVER let anyone influence your choices for your future. **Sorry don't mean to sound like I'm trying to be a motivational speaker or anything...I just realized how my mom was so true telling me that I would love it and it would be perfect for me. Alec was also right by telling me to never let him stop me from doing something that will benefit me.


I need to get some rest now, I FINALLY start classes tomorrow. But my next post will be up in about 10 hours with full detail about our adventurous weekend trip to Mooloolaba, one that you will love to read about. 
SEEEyaaa
- lib

2 comments:

  1. You should definitely screw the whole PA thing and become a motivational speaker. Great career move.

    But in all seriousness, I completely agree with your 30 second pitch for study abroad and am so happy you are having such a good experience...Does this mean you'll come visit me in Spain next semester? (...is that too hypocritical? You know I would be on the first plane to Sydney if my budget allowed)

    By the way, don't forget to visit Waka Waka, or you know who will be very disappointed you didn't appreciate his worldly wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are having a great time! Just letting you know you're not forgotten. We just left DK after having a "Libby Special"!!

    ReplyDelete