BOND UNI

BOND UNI
My home for the next 4 months!!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ahhh... FINALLY HERE!!

Alec and I saying Bye :(
Wow!! Can't believe I have finally made it to Bond University!! After leaving Friday night and not arriving here until Sunday afternoon. We took a flight from STL to San Francisco and then onto Sydney and finally reaching our destination in Brisbane; all and all it was 26 hours of flying. We were then put on a bus for 2 hours to arrive at our university.
My view right out of my dorm
That is just a brief summary of our expedition; however, of course I want to tell you about everything that went on in those 2 VERY long days!  To start off we had to check in and weigh our luggage (which I was really worried about), but luckily I got a very nice guy who understands girls obsession with over-packing and let my overweight luggage slide. I then had to say good-bye to Alec, which of course was so hard; but, I know we will be fine. We then rushed through security and arrived at our gate 2 and half hours early. Kiley and I then just sat around and watched "Julie and Julia", and in no time at all we were boarding our flight. As we anxiously stepped on the plane we soon found out we had the VERY last two seats in the last row; needless to say it was a very uncomfortable ride. To add to that Kiley's sandal broke while getting up to go to the bathroom (just her luck). I then started to think about all the adventures I have been on with Kiley; we have really been through so much about how important she is to me and how we always have a great time together! I am so excited to spend my semester in Australia with one of my best friends. Despite the minor set-backs of the flight, United Airlines then graced us with the movie  Karate Kid, which made me realize that not all changes are easy but in the end it will always pay off. So from that message I am going to take that with me and remind myself each day if I'm struggling. After this flight it started to set in that I really am traveling across the world for four months to study. Although I am so nervous I am also so excited and fortunate for this experience!

First View of Brisbane
After arriving in San Francisco we then had to head to the international gate to catch our next flight. We then had about an hour to spare and just hang out. As the flight pulled up to our gate I saw that it was a double decker and one of the biggest planes I have been on. As we sat in our seats we soon found out we had an Asian lady sitting between us; being the obnoxious girls we are we didn't want to switch with her because we both wanted an end seat. Little did we know we would soon regret this decision. My Tylenol PM soon kicked in and I was out, that was until the Asian lady reached for her seatbelt and instead pinched my butt (multiple times). I then woke up with three and half hours left of the flight, and spent this time reading, watching TV, and just sitting there thinking about all the fun and exciting times ahead of me. We then landed in Sydney, AUSTRALIA at last!! I only was able to enjoy this for a brief moment before I Kiley and I realized that we had to go through customs, get our bags, and new boarding passes in 45 minutes. To no surprise at all we missed our flight; we then boarded a later one where we met up with ALLIE!! She is another good friend of ours who is also going to Bong University. We then headed on our flight to our final destination of Brisbane, luckily this was only an hour long.

Enjoying some Wine!
As we arrived at Brisbane we were greeted with many other Bond Students,and then proceeded to our baggage claim. After about a half hour my bags still didn't come, so then I went to the baggage service and found out my luggage was on a different flight and would be at the airport in about an hour, and was then given a voucher for a free drink. What a great way to have my first Australian, legal drink; sitting on the floor of the airport, Allie, Kiley and I enjoyed a bottle of wine! I think we were judged immediately. After we all got our luggage and we finished our wine we all went on this bus that seemed like it was going to break down at any minute to venture the two hour drive to Bond University.  While riding we realized that the cars drive on the left side of the road, yield signs say 'Give way', and you must have a large P on your car when your on Probation status (which means you just got your license or you have been in a wreck); sorry Jan but I think you would have that on your car for awhile...and Alec too!

We then finally at last arrived at my home for the next 4 months!! It was gorgeous even with the rain.
I know this post is very long, but I haven't had internet in a few days. I will have another post soon, but for now I have to get ready for the Toga Party!!! Keep in mind we are 15 hours ahead of the time in Illinois. Hope your enjoying this!! I love this place, it's gorgeous and I can't wait to show/tell you all about my adventures!
SEEEyaa for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment