BOND UNI

BOND UNI
My home for the next 4 months!!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

And soo...The Adventures begin!



We found GREAT shopping!!! YAyy a Target, many boutiques, and beauty stores!! On Wednesday, Marisa, Kiley, Allie, and I went to BroadBeach; which is a shopping area near the beach downtown Surfer's Paradise (Only a 5 minute bus ride from campus). We got on the bus right on campus, and we thought we were finally figuring out the public transportation that was until the bus driver started yelling at us and finally proceeded to let us all on for free because he didn't want to wait for us to figure out the coins (in Australia they have $2 & $1 very small coins, which often confuse me).  Once we finally got to the shopping area, we walked around the city and explored, O yeah I found a REAL AMERICAN STARBUCKS!. BroadBeach is an awesome area, which many hotels, apartments, and small shopping markets. They have the best fresh fruit markets too but some of the fruit is so expensive. Because of the conversion to their metric system I often don't know how to convert simple measurements such as pounds to kilograms...SO I thought I was going to get some grapes, but when I proceeded to the checkout the lady nicely informed me that I would be paying $9 AUD for about half a bag of grapes because they aren't in season here and they have to be imported for the States. Although I love to eat healthy I had to opt out of the grapes. However, we did find a cheap alcohol store which is a very hard task around here. A nice bottle of vodka here can range from $35-$50 which is normally no more than $20 in the States and a 24 pack of Corona was $50. My mom's advice was to drink half of what I do at home...That was until I found 4 liters of wine for $10. My grandma Mimi would have NO problems here! We then headed back to campus to unpack all our stuff we bought and Allie I went to the gym to run for a bit, where again we had trouble converting all the weights and distances.
 Later on in the night we were suppose to go to a Trivia Night but us girls thought we would go into Robina Market Place which is a 10 minute walk from campus to enjoy a nice Hibachi DInner. We ate at this place called Teriyaki Mate, and had a nice dinner with the owners where they informed us of all the great specials for students. After dinner I wasn't feeling too good so we went to the local "Chemist" (aka Pharmacy). We then all found out that most medicine here is all herbal, I don't think it has helped me at all.


Yesterday us girls again decided we need to get our Australian 18+ card, because we were told that at most bars and night clubs they will no longer accept our United States ID's because they can't tell which ones are fake. After getting our new Australian ID card we went to this store called 'Trade Secret' which was just like a TJ Maxx or Marshalls at home (So YES MOM you will be set if/when you come) we went in there to look for outfits for our Tight and Bright party at Bond Uni tonight, and I think you will see by the pictures it was a successful trip. We then went to meet up with some other SLU students and headed to a beach...When getting on the bus we just asked if this was going to the beach, and of course eventually it would be, but it was like the farthest one away and 50 minutes later we arrived at Burleigh Head beach and it was gorgeous!! Definitely worth the drive! The area is amazing just like a huge surfing area with small shops, bars, and junky stores which I LOVE! We were laying out and it was hot, but very windy..The waves were HUGE!  I will be posting more pictures soon! 
Burleigh Head Beach
Unfortunately we couldn't just stay at the beach all day/night we had to then rush back so Marisa and I would make our beach volleyball practice. For all of you who don't know Marisa and I will be playing on the Bond University Beach Volleyball Olympian Team traveling to Perth in 3 weeks. We then got back to campus and went out to play in our sundress...To my surprise I wasn't actually as bad as I thought I would be. However about 10 minutes into warming up and diving around I started to get cramps in my thigh I think that was a message to me from my body that maybe this is why I didn't play volleyball in high school. We then found out we have a practice volleyball tournament in 2 weeks at Coolangatta, which is on the coast about an hour South of Bond Uni. 


My University
After our volleyball practice we sat in the hot tub and relaxed my muscles and then got ready for our themed tight and bright party at Don's (which is our tavern on campus where we can use our meal plan). While getting ready we met this really sweet Aussie girl named Jordan who wants to take us all shopping!! Buses then drove us downtown BroadBeach and we went to Club 88 East which was packed, but so much fun!! It so different than bars at home and a lot more expensive! The pictures are great!


This weekend a group of us is going to Mooloolaba for the weekend to travel and see new places. We are staying in a hostel which is like a huge dorm where we get free surfing and kayaking. We also plan on going to the Steve Erwin Australia Zoo. I can't wait to show you all pictures and let you know how it is! 


I have almost been here for a week and I can see so many similarities with Oz and the State but have been able to point out  many differences such as; there are NO dryer sheets here, the coffee is a shot of espresso with water, absolutely no tipping (they take it offensive), and also the high school/grade school kids get break in between classes and they are everywhere, I feel like they are never in school. I really don't feel distant from everyone back at home. Luckily I have been able to Skype with my mom, sister, and Alec everyday which makes it a lot easier! 


Us girls on our way back 
This post has taken me about 3 hours to write because I have no focus, voice, or money in my wallet right now because of last night!! I hope you all enjoy this post, and I really hope some of you are able to visit at some point in your life, this place really is paradise!! 
Miss yaaa ALLL
SEEYaa 
p.s. I ENJOYY THE COMMENTS!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Libby,
    I enjoy reading your blog. It sounds like you are having a great time :) Kathrin and Jens are here from Germany. We have been spending a lot of time with them. Samantha leaves on Monday :(
    oxo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete