BOND UNI

BOND UNI
My home for the next 4 months!!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

ROCKTOBERR in the Glass House Mountains

After a CRAZY Thursday night out at Don's again we spent most of our Friday recuperating and getting some of our materials together to finish our portfolio for photography class just in time to wake up BRIGHT and early Saturday morning to head our to the Glass House Mountains which were about 2 hours north of Bond Uni. On Thursday night Marisa and I came to realize it was to late in the week to prepare a flight and an over night trip so ten minutes before the deadline we signed up to do a rock climbing and abseiling trip to the mountains. This trip was one of the best impromptu decisions I have made.


We left for Bond Uni with 40 of us pack onto this charter bus for a 2 hour drive to our destination. Once we arrived we received a short briefing on how to assemble our gear that we would be wearing for the day, which included a very uncomfortable harness and helmet. After that we were part of the abseiling group, which meant that we would first climb up to the mountain to find our spot that we would be literally propelling off the mountain to the ground. Luckily I was able to watch a few people before me and I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be...That was until it was my turn. I got to the top and the guy told me to walk backwards to the edge and let my heels hang off the cliff, I thought he was crazy and just started laughing. Well unfortunately he wasn't kidding and that's exactly what I had to do...and THEN I had to trust this guy who I didn't even know his name when he told me to lean by completely and fall back. Well of course I did, and then slowly I has going down the side of this cliff and it was AMAZING!!! After I felt really comfortable I did it again! This time however I guess I was so excited that I forgot to put my rope on!! Luckily the nature lover guide reminded me before I almost stepped off the cliff without being attached to anything!!! O well classic mix-up!


After the amazing abseiling experience we hiked up another mountain where we would actually sit on the top eating lunch! While enjoying some snacks we were told some Aborigine tales about how the mountains are the shape they and and why they are called what they are. Unfortunately I forgot everything they told us, so I won't be able to share that information with you.
After lunch it was then our turn to rock climb. This rock climb was different than anything I have ever done in the past. For this it was actually all of us student who would both be climbing and belaying each other. For those of you who don't know belaying is where you partner actually is in control of the ropes and how much slack to give the climber and also is in control of how far the climber could fall! Luckily I was in a group with Marisa, Shauna, and Helen who I all knew and trusted enough to belay me. After some struggles we were all able to make it to the top! The view was amazing and it help like such an accomplishment!
After rock climbing, abseiling, and amazing nature hikes it was time to go home...I was dead tired and slept the whole way home!! Now I need to go to bed to get up again at 6am to see Mrs. Enno and Kiley's younger sister Lexi who will be visiting for a little over a week!!!!

Next up on our travel itinerary is Sydney next weekend for Halloween, Byron Bay the following week to skydive, and Cairns for my 21st BIRTHDAY!!!!
SEEEya
lib

No comments:

Post a Comment